As the world economy is expanding in heaps and bounds allowing people to enjoy the highest standards of living, the urge to earn more and more profit returns through the widescale financial offerings has grabbed the attention of a major section of the society. In the early days, people deposited their funds in banks and enjoyed the interest offered on it. Soon, investment in shares, stocks, and bonds became quite popular and people started investing their funds in them with an intention to earn good profits. The investment industry is ever-so dynamic and keeps on updating itself with new products and offerings to lure customers.
One such latest product of the investment industry is the class of alternative investment assets. In simple words, an alternative investment is a financial asset that cannot be categorized into traditional investment tools like stocks, bonds, and cash. This category of assets includes private equity or venture capital, managed futures, commodities, derivatives contracts, real estate projects, currencies including digital currencies, and art and antiques. A majority of alternative investments are managed and operated by institutional investors or high-net-worth individuals. The alternative investment assets are highly illiquid in nature and have a minimum investment bar on them.
The Pros and Cons of Alternative Investment Assets
The potential reasons for the investors to choose alternative investment assets include:
- Higher returns- The alternative investment market is a hidden gem that has still not been trodden by a majority of people. Making an investment in stocks and shares still remains the first choice for many investors which makes the market flooded, leaving the beginners with no big investment option in hand. As an alternative investment sector is less picked over, it offers a wide range of products, untouched, which are capable of giving massive returns. So, anyone who is looking for exciting, profitable deals can surely head towards an alternative asset project.
- Help in diversification- These assets have a low correlation with the stock and bond sector and often follow an opposite path with the traditional assets. This makes them beneficial for portfolio diversification.
The Cons of Alternative Investment Assets
- Difficult liquidity- A major drawback of alternative investment assets is that they are less liquid in comparison to other assets traded on exchanges and also restrains the investors from realizing the actual value of the assets.
- High commission charges- This sector of the financial world has high sales commission charges, which makes investors reluctant to enter the space.
- Large bid-ask spreads- Such assets have a substantial bid-ask spread, which signifies the difference between the seller price and the buyer’s bid value. This implies that a single buyer can acquire the asset at the bargaining price of his/her choice.
Harbor is a leading name in the alternative investment assets market. It is a globally renowned platform that offers the best investment services to investors, issuers, and placement agents in the best possible manner. The dedicated team of professionals at Harbor strives to achieve liquidity for conventional illiquid assets. The solution offers the best security features as it is secured by the expertise of the blockchain technology. The digital platform aims to enhance the alternative investment experience for the investors, boutique broker-dealers, etc.
Why Choose Harbor?
- It helps to enhance the subscription experience for investors, placement agents, and the core team.
- Automatic and digitalized investor onboarding processes and verifications like KYC, AML, Accreditation, etc. ensures the highest standards of security. This allows the brokers to focus on the deals rather than paperwork handling.
- The users can enjoy a secure, online document review, document sharing, reporting, and e-signatures at their convenience.
- Harbor allows the issuance of private securities in a fully regulated and digital format. It also helps to carry upon buy/sell orders with other placement agents with automated compliance.
- One can issue dividends to their clients electronically through the SEC-registered transfer agent services offered by Harbor.
- An array of liquidity options offered on Harbor helps to improve fund marketability.
- The wide range of extensive control tools helps in setting rules for access and trading.
- The platform is designed in accordance with institutional-level security and privacy standards capable of protecting user data in the best possible manner. Multi-factor authentication ensures the highest level of security.
The alternative investment industry is gaining a lot of popularity amongst the investors owing to the impressive profits it has to offer to them. As the traditional asset markets are flooded with investors and plans, the alternative investment sector is for any person who is ready to bear certain risks in order to run profits in the long run. Necessary guidance and a sharp vigilance towards the market trends are all it takes for a person to enjoy a successful run in the alternative investment arena.