Markets.com is a platform for trading in Forex Exchange, commodity markets.
Contract for Difference (CFDs), and cryptocurrency. It is owned by Safecap Investments Limited, a Playtech subsidiary listed on the London Stock Exchange (PTEC).
The company is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Financial Services Board (FSCA) of South Africa, the Cyprus Securities, and Exchange Commission (CySEC), and the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) of New Zealand. All global clients other than Europe can access the web-based and mobile trading platform of Markets.com with leverage up to 1:30.
|Country of regulation||UK, Europe, Australia, BVI|
|Withdrawal fee amount||$0|
|Products offered||Stocks, Currency Pair, ETF, Commodities, Crypto, Index, Blends, Bonds|
History of Markets.com
Markets.com was founded in 2008 as GFC Markets and was rebranded to its present nomenclature Matkets.com in 2010, soon after the Safecap Investments merger that owned GFC Markets and TradeFX, a software developer for CFD and Forex operators.
Markets.com partnered with Arsenal FC in 2014 as the football club’s “Official Forex and CFD trading partner” to access its wide-ranging digital channels. Part of the deal was that Markets.com broker provides “Matchday Experience” for the winner of the matches. In 2015, Playtech acquired TradeFX and, thus, by default Markets.com for €458m.
The company was rebranded in 2019 to MarketsX simultaneously with the launch of Marketsi in 2020, focusing on investments in traditional stocks and shares. An analysis of the Markets.com review shows that the platform has always exceeded customer expectations, winning the Best Forex Provider award of 2017 and the Best FX Platform in the same year in the UK Forex Awards. Also it is in the list of Best Forex Brokers in UK.
Overview of Markets.com
Users on Markets.com can trade on more than 2,200 CFDs without commission. These cover bonds, blends, shares, indices, cryptocurrencies, commodities, ETFs, and others. Traders can invest in fiat shares and stocks through an innovative Investment Strategy Builder tool built in the Marketsi account. Traders can access the top-of-the-line feature-rich MarketX mobile or web-based trading platforms while keeping options open to trade on the MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 platforms.
MarketX offers a wide range of useful trading tools, like Blogger’s Opinions, Hedge Funds Investment Confidence, Trading Analyst Recommendations, Insider Trades, and more. A USP of the broker is to provide round the clock customer support and service over live chat and email five days a week.
Markets.com Ratings on Different Parameters
- Overall – 4 Stars
- Trust Score – 97%
- Commission and Fees – 4 Stars
- Offering of Investments – 4 Stars
- Research – 4 Stars
- Mobile Trading – 4 Stars
- Education – 3.5 Stars
- Customer Service – Ratings not available
Therefore, it is seen that Markets.com broker has been steady on most aspects related to an optimized trading platform.
The Trust Factor
Markets.com is a publicly-traded platform, does not operate a bank, and is acknowledged by two high trust Tier-1 regulators, two average trust Tier-2 regulators, and one low trust Tier-3 regulator. The Tier-1 regulators are the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) of South Africa and the Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC). Because of this, it could make a good position in the list of Forex Brokers Australia and relatively low-risk with a high Trust Score of 97 out of 99 in financial conduct.
Markets.com has received a license from Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC) but has no Financial Conduct Authority registration. Hence the protection offered to the U.K investors is the same as that in mainland Europe. The broker follows MiFID II and European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) laws that regulate client services, including negative balance protection.
It is seen from the review of Markets.com broker that the disclosure for handling money for Europe states that funds can be parked outside the European Union. Thus, there is an increased risk in the case of a bank default. The Cyprus Investment Compensation Fund (ICF) caps the broker default compensation at EUR 20,000 without any private or extra insurance coverage. Market.com – One of the Best Forex Brokers offers no two-tier authentication or assured stop-loss protection beyond the One Time Password (OTPs).
There are certain glitches on the flip side. Site disclosures do not go beyond the minimum spread, and data for the previous month, quarter, or year on average spreads are not available. No mention is also made of the amount that spreads can widen during off-market hours. This can raise trading costs beyond expectations. This lack of clarity makes it complicated for prospective clients to make a transparent evaluation of the broker’s competitiveness before opening an account.
Experience on the Desktop
The web platform of Markets.com is in direct competition with the standard Metatrader 4/5 because of its high-end features. The broker’s desktop version offers adequate charting, sufficient drawing tools, and a long list of indicators. There is an impressive lot of educational and research content within the platform that is very useful to beginners and traders with required skill sets. The Trading Central has tutorials, excellent basic research products, and video-on-demand.
However, despite the presence of a “favorites” watch list, there is no way to save them on the platform. Stop loss, limit orders, and take profit are not specific, but generic only as the order management feature is not robust enough. On the brighter side, a context menu lists overnight lending fees for each instrument and leverage and margin information. While competitors might post margin credits on short sales, a Markets.com review of the desktop experience shows overnight lending fees for long and short positions.
Experience on the Mobile App
Apart from the standard MT4 native app available for mobile, there is also a proprietary Markets.com app, a direct copy of the MarketsX web-based platform. The Markets.com mobile app is available both on the Android and the IOS platforms.
There are several cutting-edge features of the Markets.com mobile app. First, the flagship platform features have been replicated across the mobile app, too, and hence there is a uniform and consistent look and feel. Most of the web version’s research and education information and resources have also been integrated into the mobile app under the tab “Trading Tools.” Hence there is not much to choose between the web-based platform and the mobile app for Masters.com.
Experience on the Mobile Apperience on the Mobile App
However, as is seen in many other trading platforms, the masters.com app falls short in drawing tools and indicators even though the mobile app is above average. The app does sync with the web platform but has limited customization and streaming quotes and slightly weak order management. Finally, the strongpoint of any mobile app is that it is tuned to be ready on the go. But the Masters.com app does not take orders during off-market hours.
Commission and Fees at Markets.com
An analysis of the Markets.com reviews throws up several aspects. Overall it seems that commissions and fees charged are slightly above average compared to a few leaders in this industry, like CMC Markets or IG. Markets.com trading experience is thus mixed for traders. Here is a breakdown of the critical factors about commissions and fees.
Commission and Fees
- MarketsX platform – Markets.com broker offers the MarketsX platform, which is a premium account. Traders putting down a minimum deposit of $100 have the benefit of lower spreads than the main trading account and other platform advantages.
- Variable spreads – For Forex pairs, trading costs are variable and not fixed. This puts Markets.com at par with other brokers providing variable spreads. However, a perusal of the minimum listed spreads of the site shows that it is more than the average.
- Average spreads – The average minimum spread stands at 1.90 pips for the EUR/USD pair on the web platform, whereas it is three pips on the Metatrader 4/5. In cryptocurrency trades, the average minimum spreads are quite high at 140 pips for Bitcoin and 15 pips for Ethereum. It is not possible to accurately analyze this angle as disclosure is not found on the site about the monthly, quarterly, or annual average spreads or how much they widen during off-market hours. However, full disclosure is available for overnight lending fees and other info on margins. There is no overnight margin credit for short-sellers, and all trade transactions are done through variable spreads.
- Other fees – Withdrawals on the Markets.com trading platform are free and usually received within five business days. For a dormant account that has been inactive for three months, a monthly charge of $10 is levied. While shares are traded at 5:1 leverage, traders do not have to pay any minimum cost.
The MarketX account provides commission-free trading, and traders have to pay the spreads and swaps, which varies depending on the platform being used – MarketsX platform, MetaTrader 4, or MetaTrader 5. Information is provided by the broker about the different fees and commission on their website. While the fees are somewhat higher on the MarketsX platform, the trading experience is richer over here.
Currently, Markets.com offers zero-commission investments on the Marketsi account for the initial three months when a share dealing account is opened. After these three months, the commission is charged as follows:
- UK Shares 0.1% (min. 8 GBP)
- EU Shares 0.1% (min. 10 EUR)
- US Shares 2 cents per share (min. 15 USD)
- AU Shares 0.1% (min. 10 AUD)
In all these cases, additional custody fees, as well as conversion fees, are applicable.
Trading Platforms and Tools of Markets.com
Accounts lose money when traders do not have multiple options of trading platforms and trading tools and are forced to restrict their choices regardless of the fees and commissions charged. Markets.com offers a range of tools and platforms that make for a rich trading experience. Markets.com’s flagship offerings are the globally reputed MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 with a wide range of trading tools.
Given here are the trading platforms and tools of Markets.com.
Trading Platforms and Tools
- MarketsX Trading Platform – This platform is considered to be the top of the offerings from Masters.com. The main advantage is that it is entirely browser-based, and no download is required. Traders have access to exclusive technical and fundamental trading tools. The platform offers opportunities for trading across multiple asset categories and more than 2,200 instruments. Account-holders are provided top-notch customer service and customer support and access to experts on the platform in case of any issues.
- MetaTrader 4 – This desktop-based platform offers four market order execution modes and 24 analytical tools for technical analysis. Account-holders can access a one-click trading interface and use automated trading strategies through expert professionals. Trading in lots as small as 0.01 with unique hedging tools is possible.
- MetaTrader 5 – Traders can be active in multiple asset classes and have access to more order types and trade management than what is available on MetaTrader 4. The customer support experience can also be automated with expert advisors without which accounts lose money from lack of round the clock customer service. A range of chart types and timeframes, and technical indicators are available on the platform.
- Marketsi Strategy builder – Whether it is London stock or that in South Africa, an in-depth Markets.com review shows that traders can choose specific investment strategies based on the appetite for high risk or otherwise. In-built investing strategies help traders take control and change portfolios based on high risk and specific goals. Trading tools allow filtering by index, sector, market cap, and volume.
- Mobile Trading Platform – MarketX, the desktop trading process, also has a mobile trading app for IOS and Android users and can be downloaded from the respective stores. This mobile trading platform allows users to trade on the go at any time of the day and night. Markets.com offers access to full dealing tickets and real-time charts as well as trading on multiple asset classes. All this is possible because the desktop version and the mobile application are seamlessly integrated.
A video review of all the platforms, both mobile and desktop, is provided on the Markets.com site.
Account Opening, Deposits, and Withdrawals
Account Opening, Deposits, and Withdrawals
Market.com review shows that account opening is a smooth and seamless experience, and a MarketsX account can be easily opened for spread betting and CFDs and a Marketsi account for traditional stocks and shares. The process is fast and is carried out from the trading platforms of the brokers. Both beginners and professional traders can open an account on Markets.com without any hitches.
Users have to open the “Create Account” tab at the top of Market.com’s home page, which will take potential traders to a registration page. The user will be automatically directed to the MarketsX platform from here, where it has to be decided whether to open a live trading account or a demo account. The registration process can now be completed by making a choice or postponed to later. Beginners generally prefer to open a demo account to pick up the trading skill sets before going on to live trading. Accounts lose money whenever the traders are short of knowledge and trading expertise.
Regardless of whether a demo account or a live account is being opened, the registration process requires the completion of five simple steps. Personal information, tax information, trading experience, financial information, and financial knowledge have to be provided on Markets.com to complete the registration. Self-verification has to be done by uploading proof of residence and proof of identification so that Markets.com can conduct authority checks.
The account opened may be funded in USD, GBP, or EUR. The minimum deposit is $100, primarily to ensure negative balance protection during live trading, especially when accounts lose money. Markets.com provides retail clients maximum leverage of 1:30, with professional traders getting higher leverage against a few additional terms and conditions.
There are various methods on the Markets.com platforms for deposits and withdrawals like credit cards, wire transfer, Neteller, PayPal, and Skrill. There are no fees or commissions charged for deposits and withdrawals done on the MarketsX trading platform.
Research and Analysis
Markets.com review has a positive side as the broker provides a good and robust foundation for research and analysis even though it is evaluated that Markets.com trails other brokers considered industry leaders like IG and Saxo Bank. In this context, creating content by the broker’s analysts, Forex news videos, and a heat-map tool would ramp up the research tools and put Markets.com up there among the best industry brokers.
Currently, the broker offers third-party tools, including TipRanks and pattern recognition from Delkos. Further, the Markets.com list of trading features is quite impressive. Access is provided to a variety of technical, basic, and sentiment tools. The following are optimized and very helpful for any trader.
- Hedge Funds Investment Confidence – Data from the SEC is used by this tool to track the stocks that the hedge funds are buying or selling. It indicates the popularity and sentiment of a stock.
- Insider Trades – It is another tool that ranks high in any markets.com trading review and focuses on the rise and fall in shareholdings of over 36,000 company insiders.
- Bloggers Opinions – This sentiment tool is like a third party that considers the opinions of more than 50,000 financial bloggers. Based on them, traders can decide the sentiment prevailing on different assets.
- Trends in Trading – This one tool on broker Markets.com allows traders to check the position of thousands of other traders.
Apart from these optimized tools, a quick check of the Markets.com review proves that the broker offers several detailed research reports about its single-share CFDs. Experienced analysts with the required professional expertise on Markets.com beam live webinars. This is a part of the educational video content from Recognia and an X-ray offering.
Customer Support and Service at Markets.com
Customer Support and Service
Brokers have to provide optimized customer service to be ranked high in any review. The support should be round the clock, too, as exchanges function continually in various parts of the world. In a Markets.com review, an analysis points towards several pros and cons. Markets.com broker provides multiple avenues for customer interaction and support, like Phone Support, Web Query forms, and Live Chat 24 hours a day and 5 days a week. The interaction is across multiple languages such as English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Bulgarian, and Arabic.
The broker also has a FAQ section on its website for generic questions and covers the following – About Us, Account and Verification, Trading and Platforms, and Deposits and Withdrawals. Although these aspects include most queries about Markets.com, there is also a search bar for specific clarifications. Those logging into the live chat feature of Markets.com have a total waiting time of 2 minutes and have to spend another 3 minutes approximately to get a satisfactory answer. The total of 5 minutes is more than what other brokers have to offer in customer support.
On the flip side, the Markets.com website, which should be the main guiding force for customers from brokers, is rather sketchy. The Contact Us button opens to an email entry form and a phone number with chat and contact links. The chat button is not updated. A phone number search yields a page with 24/5 local and international phone numbers but nothing else about the timings and the days off. Finally, the social media handles of Markets.com, like Twitter and Facebook, are non-interactive and contain mainly marketing and commentary posts.
Rounding up this Markets.com review, it can be said with an element of certainty that the broker offers an innovative interface for trading in a range of instruments, from fiat to crypto. The focus of the broker is more oriented to the basic account holders than to technically-oriented traders who would have to pay the added costs of MetaTrader. The Markets.com website is not very appealing and functional, but the other features of the broker more than make up for this drawback. One of them is MarketX, where users can trade on more than 2,200 plus CFD instruments commission-free. Not many brokers offer the opportunity like Markets.com, i.e., the Investment Strategy Builder tool that helps investors transact in real stocks and shares via a Marketsi account.
1. Is Markets.com a good broker?
Yes, Markets.com ranks among the best brokers in the industry. Users can trade in more than 2,200 plus CFDs commission-free. Instruments range from shares, indices, bonds, blends, shares, cryptocurrencies, and commodities. An innovative Investment Strategy Builder tool built in the Marketsi account helps traders invest wisely in fiat shares and securities.
The broker also allows access to the feature-rich MarketX mobile or web-based platforms while keeping options open to trade on the MetaTrader 4/5 platforms. Markets.com provides robust customer service over live chat and email 24/5. Top-of-the-line tools include Blogger’s Opinion, Hedge Funds Investment Confidence, and Trading Analyst Recommendations.
2. How to withdraw money from my Markets.com account?
To withdraw money from the Markets.com platform, you need to select the withdrawal method, which is present at the right corner; you can also do it with a mobile app, and your money will be returned with the same method you used to deposit.
3. Is it safe to use my bank card on Markets.com?
Yes, it is safe to use your bank card on the Markets.com platform, as they have various financial guidelines and regulations. And lastly, security is their top priority.
4. Is Markets.com scam or real?
Markets.com is a trustworthy platform since 2008 for trading and investing. It provides various trading platforms, so without a second thought, explore it!
5. What is the best trading market?
The best trading market is Forex for several reasons though various brokers might have a different perspective. The first reason is volatility as you can acquire an asset at a favorable price and dispose of it quickly at a higher price as the movement in prices is rapid. Next is accessibility, and Forex trading can be started with as little as $100. Online Forex trading has always relied on advanced technologies, and the latest ones are invariably incorporated into various platforms. Finally, Forex trading is heavily monitored by regulatory authorities and, therefore, not prone to fraudulent transactions.
6. Is the online market legit?
Yes, the online trading market is legit, and most of them are regulated by the laws of the land where they are incorporated. An example is Markets.com that is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Financial Services Board (FSCA) of South Africa, the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC), and the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) of New Zealand. Hence, this broker, which deals with a wide range of instruments, is perfectly legit. Before trading on an exchange, it is advisable to verify this aspect.